For me, Thanksgiving comes early in the month of November. November 17th to be exact. It was the first day I checked into the Mission Training Center in Provo Utah, about to embark on the most spiritual journey of/for my life. Everything was perfectly in place until the morning after...
Sister Rock and I were coming in from a big training meeting and saw a post-it on the door that read "Sister Grannis, please call the front office ASAP". I specifically remember turning to Sister Rock and saying "people shouldn't leave notes like this, it could make them worry".
Never at any point on our walk to the front office did I ever imagine to see my Dad there at the end of the wide hall. He should've been on his way back to Washington, not in Utah. But there he was, standing there with what seemed to be blood blisters on the corneas of his swollen eyes. The man with all his straightly aligned posture from years of high status in the Airforce was slumped over in his standing position.
He grabbed me and pulled me in. I remember looking at my companion out of the corner of my eye and wondering if I was allowed to hug males in the MTC?! Were Dads okay to hug? But beyond that my first question wasn't answered. Why was he here and not in Washington?
He didn't let me go. I could barely breathe in his embrace. It was too tight. It was uncomfortable. It was choking. It was suffocating. He was shaking, and like a traveling electrical current, passed the shaking on to me. Clueless, I stood stiff.
"Heavenly Father has called Barry home today, Suzy" he said in a voice much older than his own.
The room spun, and I shook away out of the embrace. This wasn't happening. There I was in my long missionary skirt, my missionary name tag appropriately on the left side of my button-down dress shirt. I was immediately a stranger in a room full of people I barely knew and aside from my father. It was like my equal Librium was off and I could barely think to put my feet in front of me to walk. Was this really happening. Was it.
I was ushered into a room with the MTC president and my Dad, where the foggy details were unfolded. It was still not happening. Wasn't it just 24 hours ago that he sat next to me in the auditorium family/missionary room, where we shared in the song of "Called to Serve" just before family parted to one door, while missionaries through the other on the opposite side of the room? Then howling our old time hound dog howl go back and forth to each other until we'd passed through our designated arches? That hound dog howl that intentionally made everyone look at us like we'd lost our minds, and not even cared. That howl that proved that there were some things only brothers and sisters share, with no obligation to include anyone else in our connection.
The road ahead would definitely be a rocky yet spiritual one as I still sought out my brother's influence in my life, only the connection more distant. I remember coming home from my mission, and dialing Barry's number in my phone just for the high of hearing a ringing sound before the operator's redundant forfeit of "this number has been disconnected". Only to try it again. And then to be out in public settings and see fast glimpses of people walking by and think the next to shuffle through assuredly would be Barry.
Thinking it was so strange to be back from Taiwan where I knew he couldn't be (in the flesh) but was ever more present than any other human influence while in those sacred lands. Then to be home. And to see family, and him not be there. Not be there, not be there not be there. Oh the mourning of a unfilled heart. Oh the unmet expectation.
And every year, the day before Barry's passing date I think of all things I'd like to say to him. I think of the uncherished and all too casual embrace before I left. Oh how it should have been longer. Longer longer longer. The howl, it should have been louder louder louder. As to make everyone surrounding even more uncomfortable, and to prove to Barry that I loved him more than those missionaries that could judge me thereafter. My Barry My Barry My Barry.
And so, in my heart, Thanksgiving comes on November 17th, the day I took advantage of a complete family on the earth at the same time. True, we will all see the death of those we love so much. But let us love and cherish with the deepest of gratitude those whom Heavenly Father has given us. Let us be a little more kind, a little more dedicated, a little more forgiving. Because you never know when your favorites will be taken from you.
*** Side note... I have a firm testimony of seeing my brother again. I really do. I taught it for 19 months in Taiwan on my mission, and continue to. And each time I do, I get a little slice of heaven, a little slice of influence from this brother of mine. He feels right there in attendance everytime I talk about the great plan Heavenly Father's prepared for families. The phrase Families Can Be Together Forever is real.
Monday, November 17, 2008
Barry
Posted by Suzanne at 4:10 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




7 comments:
Very beautiful. I remember that day well. We were all just so clueless about what to say to you and hearing you cry at night was the worst. He would be so proud of you that you continued on to serve an AWESOME mission and that you were such a great missionary. You're AWESOME! Thanks for sharing this.
I'm a friend of Tracey Larson's and I got to your blog from hers. She assured me that you wouldn't be freaked out by some stranger getting emotional about your blog! I loved this post. It made me cry and then made me so thankful for the gospel and temples and eternal families.....I think your story should be on Mormon.org so that non members with an interest in the church can read it....or maybe in an article in the Ensign!
I remember that howl actually I was there in that same room. I also remember when you were pulled out and the grief that was in your heart. I also remember your strength to continue on. Your mission was an example you were an example and continue to be one. Your post also made me cry today was a stressful day and your blog helped me re-focus I hope I can overcome my trials as you have overcome yours.
Chris
Tears here as well. Tender post beautifully written. I'm so sorry that these kinds of heart-wrenching experiences are a part of mortality...but what an amazing woman it has made you. My heart aches to think about you being a brand new missionary and having that happen. And you still were able to focus enough to learn this language and continue to serve an entire mission. I wonder if he somehow made it so he left the day after instead of the day before you went into the MTC...that would have changed the outcome. He sounds like an amazing brother. So thankful we know what we know and that you'll be with him again. For the longest time after my sweet grandmother that we were so close to passed away, I was careful to not do anything wrong because I felt like she could see me and I didn't want to disappoint her. We should feel that way all the time about our Father who is constantly present in each of our lives, huh!
This past week I have been reading through my old mission journals and bye-bye shu, and I didn't even make the connection that this was the week we went into the MTC until now. That must be why I had the desire to walk down memory lane.
I also remember that day well. I remember one of the first things you told me once we got back together: you had always known the Plan of Salvation was true, but now the Spirit confirmed to you that it REALLY was true!!! It's great that you can keep him alive in your memory until you meet him again.
As a missionary I admired your great courage in continuing on your mission. You taught me about real faith like no one I have ever known, and how to love others and see the very best in them. You lifted me up to a higher spiritual plane that has been the foundation of continued growth. I am thankful for YOU, Grannis!
Its is amazing that sometimes it take such a drastic event to make us treasure the ones whom mean so much to us. I miss uncle Berry very much and from that day on I personally hug my brothers and sisters longer and truly make the effort to know as much about them as possibly I love them all so much. I am grateful to have Aunts and Uncles as such good examples. I love you Auntie Suzy :)
Post a Comment